Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Some funny things deemed worth mentioning...


So a few things I have come across on my Japan adventures that I believe to be worth mentioning.

1) Last night as I left the train station on my way home I was listening to my iPod and heard what sounded to be motorcycles. Moments later what appeared to be some sort of biker gang pulled up into the Family Mart sidewalk area. On mopeds. Yes, I accidentally stumbled upon some kind of moped gang pep rally of sorts. Some even had passengers on the back and one moped was even flying the Japanese war time flag. http://www.deepdarc.com/module/album/getpic/pic-775-medium.png They were all sitting on their mopeds drinking beers or coffees. I found this to be very amusing and just had to share. I hope someone finds that as amusing as I did.

2) The sounds of Tokyo. I really wish I could share some of the excellent sounds one can hear throughout Tokyo. The first thing that comes to mind is the different songs played at each train station. Each train station in Tokyo has its own little song that is played when a train nears. Not joking. Who wrote this music? Its hilarious. Cheerful little blurbs. I love it. Some more great sounds of Tokyo. The various angry protesters who drive through the streets of Tokyo with megaphones blasting their propaganda. (I've heard people are angry about current politics regarding the Americans on Okinawa) and the last sounds I will mention are the ones found in Pachinko parlours and arcade halls. The noise is defeaning and people seem to spend hours and hours in these places.

Time is up! Till next time!

1 comment:

  1. The biker gang were 暴走族 (ぼうそうぞく). Not usually on mopeds, but nobody else is gonna be flying the war flag.

    If you're talking about the right-wingers in the black vans and the megaphones, they're called 右翼 (うよく) and most of the times I've seen them they've been blasting anti-foreigner hate speech.

    And yeah, those guys are gonna be pretty upset about America for a while now. The prime minister just resigned because he failed his campaign promise to get rid of the bases in Okinawa. We had it on live in the teachers' room yesterday. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete